Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Good News For A Great Year!



Disney have created their first ever black princess character for upcoming New-Orleans based film, 'The Frog Princess'. Her name is Maddy and she joins eight other Disney princess characters. Disney Princesses are the fastest-growing brand for the company’s Consumer Products division so they were about ready to cash in on the black pound/dollar.
Maddy's got natural hair and everything! *applauding the Disney team. It's been a long time coming. Maybe if this had been created earlier alot more black girls would have spent less time running around with a pillow case over their head emulating flowing princess locks, (don't play I know who you are :-). I'm just praying they don't overload the character with Ebonics and doing non-exsitent 'ethnic' hand gestures and shrieking about things.
It only took 84 years, but we got there in the end.



To my fellow "urban[1]" reading biliophiles, you may be pleased to know that after nearly 10 years of the fictional novel "The Coldest Winter Ever" hit bookshelves. Best-selling author, Sister Souljah has confirmed that a sequel will be released sometime this year!
I remember reading this book in school and loving it, there were even talks of a movie adaptation with Jada Pinkett Smith supposedly playing the lead role of "Winter". As much as I think Jada is cool, I could'nt really see that working out. I think all plans of that ever happening have been scrapped. Besides, I'd rather read a sequel written solely by Sister Souljah than watch some watered down version of it on film.

[1] I really dislike like that term. What does it really mean?
hmm...maybe next post.

- SistaLova

No comments: